Monday, November 9, 2009

I've been here a week!

Hello Everyone!
Well, I've already been here a week and all I've been able to do is baptize three people. More on that later.

My P-Day is Thursday. I'm not sure what that means for you. I don't have time to figure it out right now. Sorry! I'll just go through the list I made of things to tell you all. It might not be the best order, but whatever.

They just reorganized the Mandarin missionaries into their own zone this month. I will apparently never know how cool this is because I never knew anything else. Oh well. So now we can go "finding" anywhere in Hong Kong, though we still can only teach people in our area. Still good.

They have root beer here!!! Or close to it. A delicious drink called Sarsae. I was so happy! And still am.

So my companion is way into art, especially music and film. We like lots of the same movies, though the music here is so different that it's hard to tell what kind of music he likes. I think the music in this city is the most different thing about it. Other than that and all the Asians, I could almost believe I was in America. Well, Europe anyway. With Root Beer. So Elder So (ha ha) and I are great friends. He also really helps me with Mandarin Grammar, though his Cantonese accent is pretty bad, so he can't help as much with pronunciation. He knows Jason (Bahr)!

I tried the allowable kind of tea, flower tea. It was so good.

Here is a list of funny things I've seen on shirts and such.

Sometimes happiness
is go
clise
(pictures of a house)
sometimes happiness

This Next Trend International What Is Right

Taco System


I had a corn flavored gummy candy the other day. I assumed it was just corn shaped. No, that was the flavor. Sweet corn flavored candy.

There was the coolest ad ever for either a Nikon or a Cannon camera, I'm not sure which, with a guy in like, leather flying clothes and he had giant steampunk-esque leather wings! It was absolutely amazing. I didn't take a picture. If someone can find it and send me a copy I will be eternally in your debt. I also had a dream that I has the hero of a post apocalyptic story in which Mr. Ford (yes, founder of Ford Motors. Henry Ford? Herold Ford? Gerold Ford?) Was trying to take of the world. But I chased him down with my steam punk wings. It was rad.

The Raman here is just like in America, but the slightly more expensive stuff is delicious. My favorite step in preparation is Mingling the noodles.

Elder So told me I would like a Chinese Artist named JiMi. Somehow could you write a note and stick it with my clothes or something so I can remember? Thanks. His English name is Jimmy, but translated into Chinese it is "how many rice?" Haha, awesome.

We talked to some college students who listened politely but said they couldn't come to church (not allowable) because they are communists. I believe them. I they are exactly the kind of people I would expect to overthrow a government and take control. They were mostly interested in what I did in America and if I'd ever been to Mainland. I kept expecting them to ask me to join their cause for the people.

"I'm Islamic. Not like Obama, he's a terrorist. Like Bush, he's a terrorist, not a Christian."
In Chinese the word for horse is Ma and they use it a lot when doing phonetic translations. So. Which horse is the blackest? O Ba Ma. Oh Chinese jokes...

I was confronted by several middle aged/eastern men who said, squinting at my nametag, (have dad read this out loud) "ah... Spreading the Christianity!" I was a little unsettled, but I fended them off with, "Yep." Then they walked away.

This is really hard. Not because of anything really, my companion is great, the food is great, we get to stay up until 11 and sleep until 7, and we can watch "Kung Fu Panda" on P-days. But in the back of my mind there is always a little voice reminding me that I can't do the things I would normally do in this great city. I can't spend time with my family wondering the streets aimlessly, looking at all the little shops. I always have to try to talk to these people who for the most part don't speak Mandarin and don't want to talk to me. I told one man he could become like God, he said he wanted to become like Warren Buffet. I don't dislike what I'm doing right now, but if I had to search the streets everyday with the kind of results we are having right now it would not be "the best two years". I keep thinking that if I can just see the change in someone's life it will make it all worth it, but we have no investigators.

Then yesterday we got some visitors from Mainland. They came and we taught them all the lessons in one day and then I baptized them (the three we taught) and Elder So confirmed them. I don't know them, I don't remember their strange Chinese names, I didn't even really understand them. But it was so amazing. I felt the spirit so strongly. I love them each, and am so happy I could help them. And now, if I can help someone from the beginning and through the whole process, that will be amazing. That will make it the best time of my life. If not, as long as I'm doing my best, I trust that the Lord will help me fell good about this time. It is His time.


I love you all. I miss you all. The Church is true.

-Noah

No comments:

Post a Comment